Thursday, April 14, 2011

31st Anniversary of
First Profession

Today, April 14, is the 31st anniversary of my First Profession of vows!


A Brief History


I entered the Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm at our Motherhouse in Germantown, New York, on September 8, 1977. Sr. Suzanne was my postulant director. She would go on to become the Superior General of the congregation from 1996 to 2008. My entrance group of four was small; one girl left after two weeks. Another girl came in October; she stayed around six weeks and left.


I received the habit on March 11, 1978 with two other girls, Sisters {A} and {B}. A couple of weeks before, I received my religious name: "Sister M. Elizabeth Teresa of the Holy Family." (I returned to my own name in 1997.) Another girl, Sister {C} decided to return to the novitiate for a second try at the religious life, so there were now four in the group.


Two years later, on April 14, 1980, I made my first vows with Sisters {A} and {C}. Sister {B} decided to leave shortly before profession. I went home for a week, then I went to the Mary Manning Walsh Home on April 21, 1980, my first mission.


I was in New York City for 3 years, leaving in 1983. By that time I was the only one in my group. Sister {A} left after a year of profession; Sister {C} left after a year and a half.


On April 14, 1983, I was transferred to St. Patrick's Residence, Joliet, Illinois. Twenty five years ago, on March 31, 1986, I made my final vows at our Motherhouse. After 6 years in Joliet, on May 23, 1989, I moved to Naperville, Illinois. The Congregation closed our nursing home in Joliet and opened a new one in Naperville.


On September 1, 1993, I came back to Massachusetts, my native state. My mother was happy that I was near her in her last days; she passed away in 2000.


On April 20, 2002, I celebrated my Silver Jubilee in my home parish of St. Zepherin's, Cochituate Village, Wayland, Massachusetts, with my family and friends.


September 8, 2011, will mark my 34th anniversary in the religious life.


Thank you, Lord, for the many blessings you have given me throughout my life!

Blessings:

  • My father, deceased 1962.

  • My step-father. He married my mother in 1964; deceased 1986.

  • My five siblings, all older than me.

  • My nieces and nephews.

  • My mother! Deceased 2000.

  • My community, the Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm. Link: http://carmelitesisters.com/

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. Because of reading the blog, I decided to write my own. I had never been interested in keeping a blog until I saw how fun yours was, and then I was inspired! In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! Thanks for sharing with us….
    Injury prevention Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking is most effective in promoting weight loss. If you do not plan to change your diet, walking may still allow one to lose weight. Walking alone may still provide some weight loss benefits, particularly if your calorie consumption is not overly high to begin with. If you add calories to your diet because you are walking, you may not see weight loss benefits.
    Kinesiology Tape

    ReplyDelete